https://antibiotiqueaugmentin.com/surdosage-augmentin-bebe/
× This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.

Wondering if Table JX was the best choice

• hdvideo
  • hdvideo's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 4 months ago #1443

I have tried to research all J1.7 database components on the JED and concluded that TableJX would satisfy my requirements. But after purchasing and installing the component earlier today, I'm starting to have doubts. Hopefully someone can tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible with this component.

I have a MySQL database with four tables (tables currently in the Joomla database but could be separated if necessary). I need to be able to dynamically display information from JOINED tables in a module position or article from a query stored in the grid.

From the TableJX documentation, it seems that complex queries can only be displayed as a saved VIEW and since VIEWS are a static snapshot of the data and not a dynamic query, it seems that this product is unsuited for my current project. Never having used VIEWS before, I wasn't aware that they functioned in that way.

Am I missing something which would allow me to create a grid based on data from more than one table, or can that simply not be done with TableJX? The VIEW method will not work since a new VIEW would have to be created whenever the data changed.

If what I need can't be done in TableJX, I don't fault the product, but rather my lack of fully understanding MySQL.

Thanks,
Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #1444

Hello,

When you create a view in a database it does not represent a static snapshot. If data in tables changes you will be able to see that change immediatelly in a view as well as in a Table JX table.

Best regards, Bostjan

• hdvideo
  • hdvideo's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 4 months ago #1445

Thanks Bostjan for correcting my error in understanding. When I created the view, it created a new table in the db with the view name and I wrongly assumed that data in that table was static from that point on.

Using TableJX, I would need to create hundreds of different views for this project, so I have found a different component that will allow JOINS in the SQL statement to prevent having all those new tables created.

Thanks again for the clarification,
Ed

Moderators: tomaz
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Contact Us

Contact us on Discord

Contact us on Facebook